Yes it has aired and re-aired by now, but I’m still mulling it over. As are many people that are musical theater lovers that we know. So because everything that there is to be said is said I’ll bullet point my main points:
- Carrie Underwood did fine. Singing. Acting? Not so much. It was obvious she wasn’t comfortable. Poor thing was outta he league except with The Lonely Goatherd, but she is a country singer. I hope she’s proud of herself though for stepping outside of her box and doing something new. Before she does something like it again though, she needs Acting 101.
- I feel bad for Stephen Moyer – all you can see is Bill from True Blood and him going “Sookie!”
- Audra McDonald. I heart her. Seemed to young to be the all knowing Mother Abbess, but at least she could sing.
- Laura Benanti. Show-stealer that one! She was a treat from the Elsa in the movie that’s for sure. I loved the catty attitude.
- From the very beginning I was confused, considering I read nothing about this beforehand. Why was Audra singing “My Favorite Things” at the beginning? Well thanks to the super helpful Playbill live tweeting, I quickly found out that it was because this was based on the *stage* version. Cue a much more interested household on our end!
- I thoroughly enjoyed the song “No Way To Stop It” with Christian Borle and Laura Benanti – not in the movie and a “pleasant” surprise of a song despite the subject matter.
- There was ZERO love between Underwood and Moyer. I did a “oh now I’m suppose to believe they fell in love. Okay…”.